Monday, January 12, 2009

SADNESS.

A week ago today, Barry - much loved friend of my little family, and school mate to my late husband Ian in Echuca, Victoria passed away after a very long illness. It is very sad to lose someone so young, 66 years, but a great relief that he is no longer in pain. Melissa and I travelled to Townsville for the funeral last Thursday which was very up-lifting for me as we celebrated the life of this lovely man, a man that had spent every minute of his life LIVING IT TO THE LIMIT, and spending precious time with his wife, children and grand-children doing all the things they loved. There were many folk in attendance from the past, some I haven't seen in 40 years or more - quite surreal. We stayed the night with friends and caught up on all the news from Townsville, and recalled amusing anecdotes from the past of these boys from Echuca.
Ian and Barry reunited now.
We left for Atherton Friday morning only to strike rain in Ingham - rained all the way home - and has been raining ever since - product of Cyclone Charlotte which crossed the coast on the western side of Cape York. There has been a lot of flooding in Cairns due to the high tides (which apparently is due to the moon being somewhere or other) will not happen for another 18 years. It has literally poured for 24 hours - shame they can't get some of it in Victoria, which is in drought. The rain was so heavy when I was going downtown at lunch time that it could not get away in to the drainage system - so flooded out into the roadway - and the creeks are all bursting their banks. I really do love this time of the year though - everything is just so GREEN.
Spent Saturday re-arranging my SCRAP space - must admit it does look better and much more room to move - NOW THE WALLS NEED A PAINT!!!!!
All for now.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So now I want to see photos of your new scrap space Mum

emiGrants said...

Hi Rosemary!

Cyclones are a lot more worrying than a bit of cold. You could see from the pictures that we were well wrapped up. On the march I was even a bit too warm. My feet got cold by the end, but that is normal.
Sorry about the loss of that old friend. I suppose as we are getting older funerals will with increasing frequency.
I am back home and catching up now.

Lots of love

Julianna